The Zero Waste department provides the following services to all ASU campuses
The Zero Waste team is here to guide the university to be a leader in sustainable solid-waste management and supports ASU’s department's transition to a circular economy. Please select the staff member whose responsibility most closely aligns with your inquiry.
For general inquiries, email us for a quick response.
For service requests, submit here or go to my.asu.edu and select Service>Facilities Services>New Request.
Lead Material Handler
Connect with us online
The Zero Waste department manages the tracking and reporting of all metrics related to solid waste and the university zero waste goal.
ASU also reports its metrics to several national programs for waste diversion and aversion.
- Campus Race to Zero Waste – Nationwide competition among universities that encourages recycling and waste reduction efforts on campus.
- EPA Food Recovery Challenge – A pledge to improve ASU's sustainable food management practices.
- Pac-12 Zero Waste Challenge – Recycling competition among Pac-12 schools during football and basketball seasons.
Want to explore in more depth? Check out our data visualization tool.
The Zero Waste team completes service requests on the Tempe campus daily. Other valley campuses are serviced once a week.
- Monday: Tempe campus.
- Tuesday: Polytechnic and Tempe campuses.
- Wednesday: Tempe campus.
- Thursday: Downtown, Tempe, Thunderbird and West campuses.
- Friday: Tempe campus.
Custodial Services empties all of the recycling and landfill bins in common areas and brings the waste to appropriate dumpster locations. Waste is then hauled by Republic Services to either ReCommunity, (blue bin/commingled recycling), City of Phoenix Compost Facility (green bin/food waste), or a landfill.
Provision of tools
The Zero Waste team manages the procurement of
- Compost bins.
- Recycling blue bins.
- Special collection bins.
If you need a bin, submit a request.
Students that live on campus and need a bin for their residence hall room must submit a Facilities Management Maintenance request.
- Dine Healthy be Healthy – To celebrate National Nutritional Health month, this event helps Sun Devils make healthy decisions on the foods they purchase. The Zero Waste team supports Sun Devil Dining in making this event zero waste.
- Eat Well Live Well – A free food event to promote the awareness of local sustainable food options. The Zero Waste team supports Sun Devil Dining in making this event zero waste.
- Green Games – The Zero Waste team supports Sun Devil Athletics sustainability with waste diversion at all Tempe campus athletic venues. Each ASU sport commits to hosting one green game per season.
- New Student Orientation Lunches –The Zero Waste team supports New Student and Family Programs and the Memorial Union in making each orientation lunch a zero waste event.
- Staff BBQs – The Zero Waste team supports ASU Staff Council in making each campus staff appreciation BBQ a zero waste event.