We got your back
Contacts and services
The Zero Waste department provides the following services to all ASU campuses
Bins and labels
The Zero Waste team manages the procurement of:
Please review the Zero Waste bins and labels guide for more information.
If you need a bin, submit a request.
Students that live on campus and need a bin for their residence hall room must submit a Facilities Management Maintenance request.
The Zero Waste team is here to guide the university to be a leader in sustainable solid-waste management and supports ASU’s department's transition to a circular economy. Please select the staff member whose responsibility most closely aligns with your inquiry.
Find answers to frequently asked questions about reducing waste at ASU.
For general inquiries, email us for a quick response.
For service requests, submit here or go to my.asu.edu and select Service>Facilities Services>New Request.
Connect with us online
The Zero Waste department manages the tracking and reporting of all metrics related to solid waste and the university zero waste goal.
ASU also reports its metrics to several national programs for waste diversion and aversion.
- EPA Food Recovery Challenge – A pledge to improve ASU's sustainable food management practices.
- Pac-12 Zero Waste Challenge – Recycling competition among Pac-12 schools during football and basketball seasons.
The Zero Waste team completes service requests on the Tempe campus daily. Other valley campuses are serviced once a week.
- Monday: Tempe campus.
- Tuesday: Polytechnic and Tempe campuses.
- Wednesday: Tempe campus.
- Thursday: Downtown, Tempe, Thunderbird and West campuses.
- Friday: Tempe campus.
Custodial Services empties all of the recycling and landfill bins in common areas and brings the waste to appropriate dumpster locations. Waste is then hauled by Republic Services to either ReCommunity, (blue bin/commingled recycling), City of Phoenix Compost Facility (green bin/food waste), or a landfill.
|Chargeback service||Cost to customer||Unit|
|Removal and processing of refrigerator.||$75||Each|
|Removal and processing of CRT.||$50||Each|
|Removal and processing of TV — non-CRT.||$25||Each|
|Removal and processing of other bulky electronics.||$25||Each|
|Clearing of abandoned spaces; office move out.||$45||Per hour|
|Breakdown of cardboard boxes; remove Styrofoam.||$45||Per hour|
|Remove bulky recycling materials — crate, pallet, etc.||$45||Per hour|
|Remove bulky landfill materials.||$45||Per hour|
|Other agreed upon Zero Waste services.||$45||Per hour|
*Charges effective August 1, 2023.
- Dine Healthy be Healthy – To celebrate National Nutritional Health month, this event helps Sun Devils make healthy decisions on the foods they purchase. The Zero Waste team supports Sun Devil Hospitality in making this event zero waste.
- Eat Well Live Well – A free food event to promote the awareness of local sustainable food options. The Zero Waste team supports Sun Devil Hospitality in making this event zero waste.
- Green Games – The Zero Waste team supports Sun Devil Athletics sustainability with waste diversion at all Tempe campus athletic venues. Each ASU sport commits to hosting one green game per season.
- New Student Orientation Lunches –The Zero Waste team supports New Student and Family Programs and the Memorial Union in making each orientation lunch a zero waste event.
- Staff BBQs – The Zero Waste team supports ASU Staff Council in making each campus staff appreciation BBQ a zero waste event.