Alcohol Permits

Members of the ASU community are expected to abide by all federal, state and local laws, including those that govern alcohol consumption and distribution of alcohol.

It is the responsibility of all community members to ensure that the university does not, through their actions, violate the law. Official university functions, including events held by registered student groups, are not allowed to provide alcohol to those under 21, and no university funds may be used to purchase alcohol for that purpose. Violations of this requirement can result in both criminal prosecution and university administrative action, including dismissal from the university.

An ASU alcohol permit is required any time alcohol is served or sold on an ASU premise that does not have a state-issued liquor license. For a list of ASU premises with a state-issued liquor license, email the Office of Risk Management.

The ASU alcohol permit request must be submitted by an ASU representative 15 business days prior to the event date.

Submit an alcohol permit request


All events involving alcohol must be registered in the Special Event Registry.

The following documents must be submitted with the alcohol permit request:

  1. Certificate of Insurance from vendor serving alcohol.
  2. Special event liquor license, if required.
  3. Approval from the Memorial Union, if required.

Special event liquor license

A Special Event liquor license is a temporary non-transferable liquor license that allows a qualified organization to sell and serve spirituous liquor for the period authorized on the license.

Special Event liquor licenses are required when serving, selling or dealing in alcohol on an ASU premise that does not have a state-issued liquor license and where any of the following apply to the event:

  1. Fees will be charged, including but not limited to registration fees, admission fees, conference or lecture fees, dinner or reception fees, charitable fundraising, accepting donations, ticket sales and alcohol included with registration fees.
  2. There will be an exchange of money for alcohol, including but not limited to a cash bar and the sale of drink tokens or drink tickets.
  3. The event is open to the public, the event invite was sent out to a general or mass distribution list and attendees who have not RSVP’d will still be permitted to attend the event.
  4. The event is “members only” and the members had to pay any type of membership fee before, during or after the event in order to attend.
  5. The event is a “bring your own bottle” event where attendees bring limited amounts of their own liquor onto the premises to drink.
  6. Alcohol will be donated by a liquor distributor.

ASU event coordinators, planners and venue managers are responsible for reviewing all third-party events to ensure a Special Event liquor license is not needed.

To apply for a Special Event liquor license, visit the city special events website where the event will take place. Each city has its own application deadlines and turnaround time, and it is suggested that the event host begin planning at least 90 days prior to the event to ensure the application is submitted before the deadline and the special event liquor license is issued prior to the event date. ASU will not process the alcohol permit request without the special event liquor license.

Vendors and insurance

ASU does not have a preferred list of alcohol vendors. Event hosts may use any alcohol vendor of their choice. The alcohol vendor must provide a certificate of insurance that meets the requirements below.  

Insurance requirements:

Additional coverage may be necessary for special circumstances or large events.

  1. Commercial general liability: Bodily injury, death and property damage, combined single limit —$1,000,000 per occurrence.
  2. Liquor liability: Combined single limit — $1,000,000 per occurrence.
  3. Automobile liability: Bodily injury, death and property damage, combined single limit — $1,000,000 per occurrence.
  4. Workers’ compensation insurance to cover obligations imposed by federal and state statutes having jurisdiction of its employees engaged in the performance of the services, and employer’s liability insurance with a minimum limit of $1,000,000.
  5. The state of Arizona, Arizona Board of Regents and Arizona State University shall be named additional insureds for commercial general liability, liquor liability and automobile liability coverage noted above.
  6. The certificate holder shall be:
    Arizona State University
    PO Box 875712

    Tempe AZ 85287-5712