Facilities and shop safety
Confined space entry
- ASU confined space evaluation form.
- Certificate of confined space hazard elimination.
- Confined space entry flow chart.
- Confined space entry permit.
- Confined space guidance reclassifying permit required.
- Confined space pre-entry checklist.
Facility use agreements
- Annual inspection for a full-body harness.
- Annual inspection for rope grabs and lifelines.
- Annual inspection for lanyards and lifelines.
- Fall assessment evaluation.
- Fall protection work plan and checklist.
- Rescue plan.
- Visual inspection for guardrails.
Lock Out Tag Out
- Abandoned lock removal form.
- Annual review information.
- Energy control procedure template.
- Energized electrical work permit form.
Powered industrial truck
- Employee respiratory protection evaluation instructions and questionnaire.
- Voluntary use of respirators.
We are available to assist with health concerns related to shop and general safety. Please email EHS or call 480-965-1823 for assistance.
Job hazard assessments
- Auto maintenance.
- Bench grinder.
- Chemical handling.
- Drain cleaning.
- Energy information system.
- Gas-powered auger.
- Glass crusher.
- Grounds irrigation.
- Hand-powered tools.
- Mowing and trimming.
- Tree trimming.
- Pipe fitting.
- Power wash.
- PPE waste sorting.
- Sweeping and blowing.
- Welding and torch cutting.
There are a significant number of Occupational Safety and Health Agency, or OSHA, regulations that apply to facilities maintenance operations, and any construction or remodeling activities. To assist ASU Facilities Development and Management staff with compliance with these regulations, and to ensure that best practices are followed, EHS has developed several general safety program guidance documents for use by ASU employees who work in facilities maintenance operations and similar positions. Examples are below and include a brief description and a link to the document. Employees working in laboratories or offices should review guidance available on those websites.
- Aerial lift operator safety program.
- ASU Chemical Hygiene plan.
- Compressed gasses safety program.
- Confined space entry program.
- Construction, renovation and demolition guidelines program.
- Construction renovation project checklist.
- Control of hazardous energy program.
- Electrical safety program.
- Fall protection program.
- Fire prevention and safety plan.
- Hazard communication program.
- Hearing conservation program.
- Hot works permit | Welding, cutting and burning program.
- Powered industrial truck program.
- Respiratory protection program.
- Water damage and mold fact sheet.
We are available to assist with safety and health complaints including concerns related to lab and shop safety, indoor air quality, workstation set up, and general safety concerns. Please email EHS or call 480-965-1823 for assistance.
Shops are required to be registered on an annual basis using one of the options below. The shop supervisor or their designee completes the registration process. If you are new shop supervisor or registering a shop for the first time, you must register your shop using the paper forms.
Register your shop using paper forms
The shop supervisor or their designee submits a Shop Registration form along with a chemical inventory. Chemical inventories need to include quantities and some basic information. Signage related to the registration will be sent to the shop supervisor or their designee for posting at the shop. The shop registration sign provides important reference information in the event EHS or Emergency Response personnel must enter the shop or contact you in the event of an emergency. Chemical inventory forms must be in .xlsx or .xls file format.
In order to manage and update shop information online, request access by submitting a request.
Manage or update your registered shop information online
- Log in with your ASURITE ID and password.
- Select Manage My Lab.
- Name of Responsible Party or Shop Supervisor.
- Under Questionnaire choose Responsible Party Information.
- Under RPI choose Add Responsible Party Information or Renew an Existing Responsible Party Information.
Note: Review the Register a Laboratory/Space tutorial for more information.
Supervisors are responsible for implementing safety policies and procedures in the work areas they supervise. The sheets below provide information and references to specific requirements of existing ASU EHS programs, contain essential health and safety information and provide answers to general compliance questions. Supervisors are expected to familiarize themselves with the sheets below that are specific to the work areas they supervise. Each fact sheet summarizes specific policy requirements, outlines the required information for supervisor responsibilities and provides quick references to applicable federal, state and university policy.
- Aerial lift safety information sheet.
- Asbestos management program sheet.
- Confined space information sheet.
- Contractor safety project management information sheet.
- Cranes, hoist and slings information sheet.
- Electrical safety information sheet.
- Entry into a COVID-19 residence hall room.
- Fall protection information sheet.
- Fire safety prevention information sheet.
- Hazard communication at ASU sheet.
- Hazardous waste management sheet.
- Hearing conservation information sheet.
- Indoor air quality information sheet.
- Injury reporting and treatment information sheet.
- Lightning information sheet.
- Lockout Tagout information sheet.
- NFPA 70e arc flash information sheet.
- Plumbing decontamination guide.
- PPE for plumbing and HVAC.
- Powered industrial truck information sheet.
- Respiratory protection information sheet.
- Safe driver information sheet.
- Service provider acknowledgment.
- Supervisor's safety manual for general audiences.
- Universal waste management sheet.
Facilities Management personnel must complete all online annual safety training requirements. Courses with multiple modules require completion of all parts of the training to receive credit.
View your transcript in ASU Career EDGE.
|Asbestos Awareness — Enroll||Head protection training — Enroll|
|Authorized Driver — Enroll||Hearing conservation training — Enroll|
|Bloodborne pathogen training for ASU Facilities Management trade-specific — Enroll||Hot work safety awareness — Enroll|
|Cranes, hoist and slings — Enroll||Incident investigation and report preparation — Enroll|
|Compactor safety — Enroll||Ladder safety — Enroll|
|Confined space entry training — Enroll||Lockout/Tagout training — Enroll|
|EHS hazardous waste for Facilities Management — Enroll||Machine shop safety — Enroll|
|EHS tractor hazard awareness training — Enroll||Office safety — Enroll|
|Electrical safety training — Enroll||Respirable crystalline silica training — Enroll|
|Facilities annual safety training 2.0 — Enroll||Roof access — Enroll|
|Fall protection training — Enroll||Strains and sprains awareness training — Enroll|
|Fighting heat stress — Enroll||Supervisor safety training — Enroll|
|Fire safety — Enroll||Vehicle operator training for FM personnel — Enroll|
Forklift operator training | Two-part series
|Vehicle operator training for FM personnel — Enroll|
|Hazard communication for non-lab personnel — Enroll|