Biking at ASU
More than 15,000 people bike to and from ASU's four campuses each day.
With increased bike traffic on campus, many enhancements have been made to improve the safety and convenience of biking, including 165 miles of bikeways in Tempe alone, bicycle lanes and paths throughout the city and on the Tempe campus and numerous bike racks are available on all ASU campuses.
Bicycle registration is FREE and strongly recommended for ASU students, faculty and staff. Registration may help deter bike theft and may help recover your bike in the event of theft.
Additional bicycle registration advantages include:
- Provides a record of ownership
- May act as documentation for your insurance carrier
- Aids authorities in locating the owner of a stolen or recovered bike
Most manufacturers stamp a serial number on each bicycle before it leaves the factory. A serial number and specific descriptive information are crucial for the police to properly identify recovered bicycles and locate rightful owners. The following areas of a bicycle may include serial numbers:
- Top bar
- On the seat post mast
- On the lower bar
- On the hanger crank near the sprocket
- On one of the rear forks (left or right)
- On one of the rear stays (left or right)
If you have questions about where your bicycle serial number is located, please contact the ASU Police Department: 480.965.3456.
A free card-access bicycle storage facility located south of Payne Hall on the ASU Tempe campus is available for long-term use. Visit the Walk-Only Zones website for information on how to gain facility access.
The bicycle valet station can accommodate up to 150 bicycles and provides free, supervised bicycle parking on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Location: East side of the Memorial Union; on the south side of Orange Mall between the MU and the Physical Education West building
- Rates: Free of charge
- Hours of Operation:
- Monday – Friday, 7:30 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- Call 480.965.0641 for assistance weekdays between 6–10 p.m.
- No service on weekends or university holidays and breaks
- How it Works:
- The valet attendant will issue you a claim ticket.
- While you are away, your bicycle remains secured at the attended station.
- To claim your bicycle, present your claim ticket to the valet attendant.
- Questions?: Call 480.965.6124 or email for more information.