International travel insurance
University employees traveling on authorized university business outside of the United States are provided insurance coverage for liability and workers' compensation through the Arizona Department of Administration, Risk Management Section, in accordance with Arizona state law. University property used in authorized international travel is covered under the university's property insurance coverage program.
In addition, ASU employees are provided with Business Travel Accident coverage which includes medical. All university employees are encouraged to print an international travel insurance card and carry it with them while traveling internationally. Employees should call the number on the card when in need of emergency assistance. For more information on incident reporting while abroad, see managing emergencies.
Domestic travel insurance
University employees traveling on authorized university business domestically are provided insurance coverage for liability and workers' compensation for job related injury through the Arizona Department of Administration, Risk Management Section, in accordance with Arizona state law. University property used in connection with domestic business travel is covered under the university's property insurance coverage program.
Employee workers’ compensation coverage and claims issues associated with domestic or international travel can be directed to the Human Resources Benefits Office.
Review the ASU travel webpage for information on traveling for ASU.
Emergency travel assistance
Always carry an international travel insurance card.
Before obtaining medical or non-medical assistance call:
- 1-844-632-0002 in the U.S. and Canada.
- For calls outside the United States or Canada, for security assistance call collect at 1-416-646-5602.
- Please identify yourself as an insured of Zurich North America.
- The policy group name is: State of Arizona.
- The insurance identification number is: ZE 3400535-01.
International emergency travel assistance is available to university employees during business travel.
Coverages include but are not limited to:
- Accidental death benefits.
- Accidental dismemberment and plegia benefit.
- Medical and non-medical repatriation.
- Security evacuation assistance.
- Therapeutic counseling benefit.
- Travel medical insurance.
Coverage and services apply only to university employees while traveling on behalf of the university.
Travelers should contact their personal health care insurer for details on their medical coverage should the traveler become ill or injured when unrelated to university business. Policy terms and conditions subject to change as policies renew.
The university provides limited accidental medical expense coverage in excess of any other collectable medical insurance for non-employees authorized to travel domestically on university business. Coverage applies to students participating in approved field trips and university volunteers traveling on authorized university business. Accidental death and dismemberment benefits are also included.
Coverage limits include:
- Aggregate Limit of Liability $375,000 per Accident.
- Death and Dismemberment — Principal Sum $25,000.
- Medical Expense Limit $25,000.
- If a non-employee is injured on a field trip or business trip, please contact Insurance Services to initiate the claims process.