Before you begin, determine whether or not the job description is consistent and relevant to the expected duties and responsibilities of the position you have available.
Do you have an accurate job description?
- Assess whether the vacant position's duties and responsibilities are based upon your business processes or direction and organizational structure.
- Determine all functions and responsibilities of the position, ask for input from department staff, the past incumbent and management.
- Reference the ASU job descriptions for the position's general duties and functions. ASURITE ID required to log in.
- Using the ASU job description, prioritize the major job duties and functions of the position.
- Begin each description with an action verb—,i.e. direct, provide, research, coordinate.
What's best to include in a Job Description?
- Ensure the duties and responsibilities are reflective of the job classification, title and salary.
- Keep the applicant in mind and be clear, concise and descriptive.
- Include a department description and website to allow the applicant to research the department and be better prepared for the interview.
- Desired Qualifications are established to customize and narrow your applicant pool based on additional work-related skills not specified in the minimum qualifications.
- Establish the essential functions for the position, which may be the same as the duties and responsibilities or more descriptive.