Requesting leaves of absence
A leave of absence provides approved time away from work. Unless you are taking a planned vacation, you should request a leave of absence if you need three or more consecutive days away from work.
- Birth or bonding with a new child.
- Care for a covered family member.
- Military service and training.
- Personal health condition.
- Personal reasons.
A leave of absence can be taken in one of the following ways:
- Continuously: Full schedule over an uninterrupted period of time.
- Intermittently: Leave is taken in separate blocks of time for either treatment of a flare-up. Not permitted under all leaves policies.
- Reduced schedule: Reduces an employee’s usual number of working hours per work, week, or hours per workday.