Total Compensation @ ASU is defined as more than the salary paid for the valuable work performed to support the success of our ASU students. It includes:
- Salary and wages paid
- Comprehensive package of affordable benefit plans and programs
- Access to world-class educational opportunities at deeply discounted rates
- Total Compensation Estimator shows the approximate value of your overall ASU compensation
The compensation area of the Office of Human Resources provides guidance, strategic solutions and recommendations working consultative with management to ensure equitable, fair treatment of staff as well as compliance with applicable federal, state and local regulations and laws in the areas of:
- job design
- compensation delivery mechanisms
- market dynamics
- salary decisions
- Provide opportunities to reward performance, proficiency & outcomes
- Considers the relevant market
- Flexibility in pay administration
- Support employee’s desire for career growth
- Compliance with applicable regulations & financially responsible
- Job Category Definitions – a systematic grouping of jobs generally in organizational (hierarchical) order into which each staff job is assigned. These are also used for vacation accrual.
- Market Reference Point (MRP) – relative pay rate for a job considering market relationship
- Market Reference Zone (MRZ) – spread (width) around MRP & varies by category
- The Salary Administration Policy explains the options available for administration of salary/career-related actions.
- The Salary Approval Matrix shows the approvals required for certain actions.
- Determining a salary for an employee is a complex decision which should take into consideration performance, equity and expertise. Before extending an offer to a candidate, the Office of Human Resources recommends using the competency level guidelines.
Reference Establishing Rates of Pay Policy for additional assistance.
How a job is classified is determined through defining and evaluating its duties, responsibilities, tasks and authority level. The process of gathering information to make the determination can be done through use of a Position Analysis Questionnaire form (PAQ).
- The material from the PAQ then is made into a job description
- ASU Staff Job Descriptions (ASURITE ID needed)
Non-exempt employee travel considerations: Non-exempt Travel
Exempt or Non-exempt job classification: Fair Labor Standards Act
Carol L. Hurst
- about us
- business center
- employee assistance office
- employee discounts
- employee recognition
- hr toolkit
- leaving ASU
- manager services
- new employee
- office of equity & inclusion
- peoplesoft (HRSA)
- performance management
- professional development