Transparency in government promotes accountability and provides information to the public. At ASU, accountability is the responsibility of any employee who authorizes or conducts a transaction, enters or approves data into the financial system, reconciles accounts or works on budgets or reports on financial data.
To assess the status of financial and internal control responsibilities in ASU’s decentralized environment, we have developed content to support executive management’s assurances made to external auditors. The certification form below is mandatory for all financial administrators in Dean’s or Vice President’s offices, replacing the cash attestation and supplemental disclosure requirements from prior years. The deadline for complying with fiscal year reporting requirements is Aug. 31.
- Financial certification statement.
- Policy resource information. Further review of the various policy manuals may be warranted when completing this certification, or if questions arise in regular departmental operations. See policy manuals.
Email Financial Controls with questions or comments.
Internal control questionnaires
All of these ICQs are compilations of other questionnaires from various sources, including the Association of College and University Auditors, the Auditor General’s office of Arizona and other universities throughout the country.
Not all of these ICQs apply to each department. When completing the ICQs, answering no to a question may be okay, as long as there are other compensating controls present or if the cost of the control exceeds the benefit.
- Budgeting and accounting.
- Cash handling.
- Centralized purchasing.
- Control environment.
- Departmental purchasing.
- Gifts, grants and contracts.
- Information and communication.
- IT — application controls.
- IT — general controls.
- Other revenue.
- Personnel and payroll.
- Petty cash.
- Risk assessment.
We want you to think of the Financial Controls division as a source of information for helping your department operate in step with the New American University. We have provided some resources for ASU business administrators to use as they see fit. These include general control questionnaires that relate to various business functions of any department. Some may apply only to departments with certain activities. These can be found in the Internal Control Questionnaires tab. After you complete any ICQs relevant to your department, we can provide any guidance or training in based on your results.
We provide a publication called the Standards of Internal Control to review. These standards and ICQs have been compiled from general controls, compliance and auditing knowledge relevant to the corporate and university standards. There is no obligation to memorize, complete or certify to the ICQs or standards, or any answers or questions that may result after reviewing the information and applying it to your department. If you do have questions, email Financial Controls or call 480-965-2343.
- ABOR 6-914 — Protection of Employees from Reprisal for Whistle Blowing.
- ACD 204-08: Conflict of Interest.
- ACD 123: Misuse of University Assets.
- ASU Hotline.
- FIN 103: Departmental Record Keeping.
- FIN 117: Personal Use of University Resources.
- FIN 124: Misuse of Public Monies.
- FIN 129: Ensuring Financial Integrity.
- FIN 203: Org Manager Responsibilities.
- FIN 210: Business Manager Responsibilities.
- FIN 305: Deposits at University Cashiering Services.
- FIN 420-01: Faculty and Staff Reimbursements.
- PCS 703 — Property Records Storage and Destruction.
- President's Crow Commitment to Ethics memo.
- PUR 102 — Code of Ethics.
- Sarbanes-Oxley Act.
- SDN List.
- Standards of Internal Control.
|Archana Kodibagkar||Internal Auditor Senior||Financial Controls||480-965-6777|
The Arizona Board of Regents established a policy on internal controls which states all ASU employees are responsible for understanding and following sound practices with respect to ASU financial transactions and assets.
For questions or more information, email Financial Controls.
If you have questions or concerns about particular departmental financial processes or procedures at ASU, call 480-727-8465. Financial Controls can come to your department, business unit, school or college to consult and review current processes and procedures.