Arizona State University defines total compensation as more than the salary paid for the valuable work performed to support our ASU students' success.
- Access to world-class educational opportunities at deeply discounted rates.
- A comprehensive package of affordable benefit plans and programs.
- Salary and wages paid.
The compensation area of the Office of Human Resources provides guidance, recommendations and strategic solutions. This unit consults with management to ensure equitable, fair treatment of staff and compliance with regulations and laws on these topics:
- Compensation delivery mechanisms.
- Job design.
- Market dynamics.
- Salary decisions.
- Compliance with applicable regulations and financially responsible.
- Considers the relevant market.
- Flexibility in pay administration.
- Provide opportunities to reward performance, proficiency, and outcomes.
- Support employee’s desire for career growth.
The Office of Human Resources conducts an annual comprehensive market study to determine employee pay. Data on average and median pay from various salary surveys, typically five, is used as the basis of this analysis. Updates to salary zones took effect on December 27, 2021. About 40% of the current jobs salary range has been updated.
As these adjustments are implemented, employees with the current pay rate will be under the updated zone low. There is no requirement to adjust an individual employee’s rate to that new low zone.
Arizona State University commits to maintaining a compensation structure reflective of job market dynamics. Each job is assigned a market zone consistent with compensation principles and market relationships.
Classification and job descriptions
Job classification is determined by defining and evaluating its authority level, duties and responsibilities. Use the Position Analysis Questionnaire form (PAQ) to determine a job classification.
- ASU staff job descriptions. ASURITE ID needed.
- The information from the PAQ becomes a job description.
- Job category definitions: A systematic grouping of jobs generally in organizational order into which each staff job is assigned. These are also used for vacation accrual.
- Market Reference Point: Relative pay rate for a job considering the market relationship.
- Market Reference Zone is spread around MRP and varies by category.
References and resources
- Exempt or nonexempt job classification – Fair Labor Standards Act.
- Leader's guide.
- Nonexempt employee travel considerations
Consider the equity, expertise and performance of an employee to determine an appropriate salary. Before extending an offer to a candidate, ASU HR recommends these competency level guidelines:
|Alumni Association||Michael Forhan|
|Barrett Honors College||Jennelle Rivers|
|Business and Finance, Financial Services||Michael Forhan|
|Business and Finance, Business Services and Sustainability||Michael Forhan|
|Business and Finance, Human Resources||Michael Forhan|
|Business and Finance, University Real Estate||Michael Forhan|
|Business and Finance, Facilities Development and Management||Jennelle Rivers|
|Business and Finance, ASU Police Department||Michael Forhan|
|Business and Finance, Office of Planning and Budget||Jennelle Rivers|
|Business and Finance, University Technology Office||Jennelle Rivers|
|Business and Finance, University Audit||Jennelle Rivers|
|College of Global Futures||Jennelle Rivers|
|College of Health Solutions||Jennelle Rivers|
|College of Law||Jennelle Rivers|
|College of Integrative Sciences and Arts||Jennelle Rivers|
|College of Liberal Arts and Sciences||Michael Forhan|
|College of Nursing and Health Innovation||Jennelle Rivers|
|College of Health Solutions||Jennelle Rivers|
|College of Public Service and Community Solutions||Jennelle Rivers|
|EdPlus at ASU||Michael Forhan|
|Educational Outreach and Student Services||Jennelle Rivers|
|Enterprise Marketing||Jennelle Rivers|
|Global Launch||Jennelle Rivers|
|Graduate College||Jennelle Rivers|
|Herberger Institute for Design and the Arts||Michael Forhan|
|Ira A. Fulton School of Engineering||Michael Forhan|
|Knowledge Enterprise||Jennelle Rivers|
|Lake Havasu City Programs||Jennelle Rivers|
|Mary Lou Fulton Teachers College||Jennelle Rivers|
|Media Relations and Strategic Communications||Michael Forhan|
|New College of Interdisciplinary Arts and Sciences||Jennelle Rivers|
|Office of the President||Michael Forhan|
|Office of Government and Community Engagement||Michael Forhan|
|Provost of the University||Michael Forhan|
|SDA Administration||Jennelle Rivers|
|Thunderbird School of Global Management||Jennelle Rivers|
|University Administration, Office of General Counsel||Michael Forhan|
|University College||Michael Forhan|
|Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Comm and KAET||Michael Forhan|
|W.P. Carey School of Business||Jennelle Rivers|