October is Campus Sustainability Month, and ASU celebrates by engaging and inspiring Sun Devils through campus activities, events and experiences. Campus Sustainability Month complements Earth Month (April) and focuses on local action on college and university campuses for sustainability solutions.
Sun Devils can learn about ASU's sustainability goals and how they can take sustainability actions when they participate in one of the many events occurring this month.
Some of our past events include:
- Campus Harvest Date Sales (annual) - support our campus harvest and enjoy campus grown dates of many varieties from the largest public collection of date palm species in the U.S.
- Fair Trade events (regularly) - Sun Devils for Fair Trade hosts educational events for the campus community to include fashion shows with local designers and collaborations with business clubs to show the social and economic impact of supporting Fair Trade.
- Green Games (regularly) - Sun Devil Athletics, University Sustainability Practices, and Zero Waste highlight sustainability by hosting green games for many sports to include baseball, football, basketball, and volleyball.
- State of Sustainability (annual) - presentations from University Sustainability Practices and campus partners on sustainability progress and success stories.
- Sun Devil Dining “Taste of Tooker” (annual) - various food-related events in the dining hall that showcase sustainable choices such as ingredients from local vendors, Fair Trade products, or plant-forward meal options, including samples.
- Sustainability walking tour (regularly) - interactive walk with a sustainability expert to see and hear about our campus attributes.
- Zero Waste Staff BBQ (annual)- a BBQ with your colleagues that strives for zero waste.
Sun Devil Sync
Make sustainability personal on your campus and engage in one of many action-driven events, such as harvesting premium Medjool dates along Palm Walk with ASU Arboretum, getting creative with ASU Garden Commons by prepping an edible garden bed or joining forces with other Sun Devils to conduct clean-ups around Mill Avenue and Papago Park.
Students may explore events and involvement opportunities on Sun Devil Sync.
Students can make a difference on campus and in the community when they volunteer their time to projects like Make a Difference Day and Zero Waste department's blue bag sort.
The goal of Earth Month is to support the global event for Earth Day (April 22) and to raise awareness and inspire personal and collaborative action in implementing sustainability solutions at ASU.
Some of our past events include:
- Carbon Free Day: ASU’s call to action to the students, faculty and staff to join in and accelerate ASU’s Second Nature Climate Commitment. Individuals and departments make pledges from options related to travel, food and energy to declare a carbon-saving strategy that they implement on Carbon Free Day.
- Earth Fest: campus festival that brings together many sustainability departments and student organizations to celebrate sustainability success with education, research, and operations .
- Nurturing Mindfulness Connections to Nature: online event collaboration with ASU’s Mindfulness Center to discuss how nature can positively impact one's personal mindset.
- Recycled Art Contest: students, staff, and faculty participate in an upcycling contest to build art and usable items out of materials that can be recycled.
- Sustainability Lecture Series: guest speakers discuss their topic of expertise, such as Rolf Halden, “The Environment is Us” and Meg Lowman, pioneer of treetop botanical science.