Qualified tuition reduction program
This program allows for reduced in-state tuition for credit courses at any Arizona university system — Arizona State University, Northern Arizona University or the University of Arizona.
Complete all tuition reduction forms online.
- Benefits-eligible faculty and staff, their legal spouses and dependent children.
- Eligible retirees, their spouses and dependent children who meet the following statements:
- At least age 50 or age 41 if you are a PSPRS member.
- Complete at least five years of continuous, full-time employment in the Arizona university system immediately preceding retirement.
- Have not been involuntarily terminated from employment by the university for cause.
- Receive a retirement annuity under an Arizona university-sponsored retirement program.
- Long-term disability participants who had at least five continuous years of employment immediately preceding separation, their spouses and dependent children. Applicable only while receiving long-term disability benefits.
- Certain employees of affiliated units, their spouses and dependent children.
- Eligible spouses and dependent children of deceased employees.
- Same-sex and opposite-sex domestic partners and their family members who have been certified by the Provost’s Office prior to Nov. 1, 2014.
Tuition reduction forms
Employees, spouses and dependents can download a qualified tuition reduction form to complete for submission. Forms are accessed and submitted through Adobe Sign. Any additional required signatures will be routed electronically to the appropriate signer or returned to ASU Student Business Services for application to the appropriate student account.
- Qualified tuition reduction program form for ASU classes.
- Qualified tuition reduction program form for ASU international employees and dependents for ASU classes.
- Qualified tuition reduction program form for classes at NAU, or UA and ASU retirees attending classes at ASU, NAU or UA.
- Qualified tuition reduction program form for ASU affiliates for classes at the UA, NAU and ASU.
Contact us for inquiries or accommodations for an alternate method to submit forms.
The amount for undergraduate classes is not taxable if the student is enrolled in an undergraduate degree program. Employees enrolled in graduate-level programs are subject to taxation on any level of class when the discounted tuition amount exceeds $5,250 within the tax calendar year. The full amount of the tuition discount on any level of classes taken by eligible family members enrolled in graduate-level programs is taxable to the employee. Refer to the bottom of the qualified tuition reduction program form or contact Student Business Services for more details.
- Spring taxation begins in March.
- Summer taxation begins in August.
- Fall taxation begins in October.
Employee-only benefits exceeding the $5,250 threshold amount within the same tax calendar year are taxed on only the amount that exceeds the $5,250 threshold. It can occur at any point in the year, but most employees do not exceed the threshold until the fall semester and are taxed in November and December.
Tuition reduction rules
|Fall, spring semester||Summer sessions|
|Eligibility||Credit hours||Fee||Credit hours||Fee|
||1 to 9 credits.||$25 per semester.||1 to 6 credits.||$25 per session.|
|10 or more credits.||Actual in-state tuition for all credit hours more than nine.||Seven or more credit hours.||Actual in-state tuition for all credit hours more than six.|
|Dependent children of above.||All credit hours.||25% of actual in-state tuition for all credit hours.||All credit hours.||25% of actual in-state tuition for all credit hours.|
Tuition reduction does not apply to any other costs of attendance, including but not limited to program fees, registration fees, special class fees, library and laboratory fees, books and supplies.