This program allows a reduced in-state tuition fee for credit courses at any of the Arizona university systems — Arizona State University, Northern Arizona University or the University of Arizona.
- Benefits-eligible faculty and staff, their legal spouses and dependent children.
- Eligible retirees, their spouses and dependent children who meet the following statements:
- At least age 50 or age 41 if you are a PSPRS member.
- Complete at least five years of continuous, full-time employment in the Arizona university system immediately preceding retirement.
- You receive a retirement annuity under an Arizona university-sponsored retirement program.
- You have not been involuntarily terminated from employment by the university for cause.
- Long-term disability participants who had at least five continuous years of employment immediately preceding separation, their spouses and dependent children. Applicable only while receiving long-term disability benefits.
- Certain employees of affiliated units, their spouses and dependent children.
- Eligible spouses and dependent children of deceased employees.
- Same-sex and opposite-sex domestic partners and their family members who have been certified by the Provost’s Office prior to Nov.1, 2014, are eligible for the ASU tuition program.
Visit the Scholarship Renewal Guide for information about how this program can affect institutional merit awards.
Tuition reduction forms
Download a qualified tuition reduction form or pick one up from the Employee Service Center at the Tempe campus Office of Human Resources.
- Qualified tuition reduction program form for ASU classes.
- Qualified tuition reduction program form for ASU international employees and dependents for ASU classes.
- Qualified tuition reduction program form for the University of Arizona or Northern Arizona University classes.
To obtain an HR signature, fax the completed form to 480-965-1971 with instructions on where to return it. You can also bring the form to the Tempe campus Employee Service Center for a signature.
Grandfathered domestic partners and their families
Same-sex and opposite-sex domestic partners and their family members who have been certified by the Provost’s Office prior to Nov. 1, 2014, for the ASU tuition program. Contact Elizabeth King in the Provost’s Office for inquiries and tuition reduction forms only for your grandfathered domestic partners and their families.
The waiver amount for undergraduate classes is not taxable if the student is enrolled in an undergraduate degree program. Employees enrolled in graduate-level programs are subject to taxation on any level of class when the discounted tuition amount exceeds $5,250 within the tax calendar year. The full amount of the tuition discount on any level of classes taken by eligible family members enrolled in graduate-level programs is taxable to the employee. Refer to the bottom of the qualified tuition reduction program form for more details. For a more detailed explanation, please refer to the information at the bottom of the tuition waiver form.
Spring waiver taxation begins in March.
Summer waiver taxation begins in August.
Fall waiver taxation begins in October.
Employee-only waivers exceeding the $5,250 threshold amount within the same tax calendar year are taxed on only the amount that exceeds the $5,250 threshold. It can occur at any point in the year, but most employees do not exceed the threshold until the fall semester and are taxed in November and December.
Tuition waiver rules
|Fall, spring semester||Winter, summer sessions|
|Eligibility||Credit hours||Fee||Credit hours||Fee|
An employee at least 50% FTE.
An employee on an approved leave of absence.
Spouses of above.
|1 to 9 credits||$25||1 to 6 credits||$25|
|10 or more credits.||Actual in-state tuition for all credit hours more than nine.||Seven or more credit hours.||Actual in-state tuition for all credit hours more than six.|
|Dependent children of above.||All credit hours.||25% of actual in-state tuition for all credit hours.||All credit hours.||25% of actual in-state tuition for all credit hours.|