Insurance Services - Volunteer Coverage
Volunteers working at the direction of a university employee for an official university activity are provided insurance coverage for liability for acts and/or omissions of any nature while acting within their authorized capacity. There are some exclusions to this coverage including acts or omissions determined by a court to be a felony by a person who is provided coverage and losses arising out of contractual breaches. Workers' compensation coverage is not provided to volunteers. Workers' compensation coverage is normally only provided to volunteer fire fighters and law enforcement personnel.
Departments may accept volunteer services for non-high-risk positions. Review the following policies for reporting requirements
- The Insurance Services: www.asu.edu/aad/manuals/ehs/ehs705-08.html
- Human Resources: www.asu.edu/aad/manuals/spp/spp212.html.
In addition, a volunteer may not perform any work until the department and volunteer complete and process the ASU Volunteer Registration Form
VEHICLE INSURANCE COVERAGE AND MEDICAL COVERAGE
- University vehicles being used for official university business are covered under the university's property and liability insurance coverage provided by the State of Arizona.
- Employees and volunteers are authorized to drive university vehicles for official university business provided they have a valid drivers license.
- Special training requirements must be met by operators of 8 occupant or greater vehicles used for university business.
- If an employee is injured as an occupant of a university vehicle on official university business, their source of remedy from injury and/or illness is through workers compensation coverage.
- If a non-employee, e.g., volunteer or student, is injured as an occupant of a university vehicle, there is no medical coverage provided by the State of Arizona.
The University does have a small medical coverage policy ($25,000 maximum per occurrence per individual) for non-employees authorized to travel on university business.
CLAIM PROCESS FOR MEDICAL COVERAGE
- Contact ASU Insurance Services at 480.727.9669, via FAX: 480.727.9055, or e-mail as soon as the injured non-employee receives professional medical attention to initiate the claim process.
- ASU Insurance Services will need the name of the injured person, date of the incident, location at time of injury, and address where the Application for Benefits claim form should be sent.
- Employee workers compensation coverage and claims issues can be directed to Human Resources Benefits Office at ASK HR.
CLAIM PROCESS FOR FILING A THIRD PARTY LIABILITY CLAIM
Claimant shall notify ASU Insurance Services for further instructions. A Notice of Claim Form will be forwarded to the claimant upon receipt of a mailing address.
QUESTIONS? Contact Insurance Services.
- about us
- asbestos management program
- biosafety program
- compliance officer program
- EHS assistant
- emergency plan templates
- emergency preparedness
- emergency response guide
- environmental affairs
- fire safety & prevention
- laboratory safety
- occupational health & safety
- radiation safety
- risk management & insurance services
- service providers