The Office of Planning and Budget manages the university's enterprise budget and planning system. The current system, Strategic Tracking Analysis and Reporting, will be phased out and replaced with Adaptive Insights, a system sold by Workday, the provider of ASU's Financial Management system.
Adaptive Insights is a user-friendly, flexible application with native Workday Finance integration. It accommodates daily imports of HR data detail for more robust position and staffing planning and allows budget units to create their own in-system modeling scenarios. Adaptive Insights has excellent, intuitive ad-hoc reporting and modeling capabilities for budgeting and forecasting of financial, HR, and planned commitments data.
About the project
There are two scheduled phases for this project.
- Phase One will implement Adaptive Insights to replace STAR, as well as provide training for end users.
- Phase Two will retire STAR and examine additional features for future Adaptive Insights implementation project phases.
The Office of Planning and Budget is leading the project team, including Matthew Smith, vice president of budget and planning management; Susan Wynn, data analyst senior and project lead; and Larry Pierson, principal policy analyst.
Additional partners include subject matter experts and product owners from various ASU departments including Financial Services, the STAR end-user advisory group led the Provost's Office, the STAR end-user community, and the University Technology Office. There will be many opportunities for STAR end users to engage with the project, including the ability to send questions to the budget system project team.
The project team will announce project updates and demos throughout the process. View the Budgeting and Forecasting demo video.
Since this product integrates with Workday, progress announcements and links will be posted in the Workday announcements.
- Winter 2020: Survey released to STAR end-user community.
- Spring 2020: Project kick-off, virtual town hall.
- Summer 2020
- System designed, integrations created, STAR EPM Workday environment historic data converted and loaded into the new system.
- Soft go-live for user training, feedback and fine-tuning.
- Virtual town hall project update.
- FY 2021 budget data converted and loaded into new system; STAR system remains available as read-only through end of year.
- Fall 2020:
- Adaptive Insights go-live.
- Archive STAR legacy data into data warehouse.
- Retire STAR by end of calendar year.
Note: FY 2020 quarterly forecast activities as well as FY 2021 budget creation will be completed in STAR. The project team will then load FY 2021 budget data into Adaptive Insights. Use of Adaptive Insights will begin in FY 2021.
Email the budget system project team with any questions or feedback.