The Office of Planning and Budget manages the university's enterprise budget and planning system. The current system is Workday Adaptive Planning. This has replaced the former system, Strategic Tracking Analysis and Reporting.
Adaptive Planning is a stable, user-friendly, flexible application with native Workday Finance integration including a single sign-on and user sync feature. It accommodates daily imports of non-Workday Finance data as well, such as HR data detail for more robust position and staffing planning, and allows budget units to create their own in-system modeling scenarios. Adaptive Planning also has intuitive ad-hoc reporting and modeling capabilities for budgeting and forecasting of financial, HR and planned commitments data.
Adaptive Planning implementation project
There were two scheduled phases for this project:
- Phase One implemented Adaptive Planning to replace STAR, performed change management functions and made ASU training in Career EDGE available for end users. *Completed and live Nov. 9, 2020.
- Phase Two will retire STAR and examine additional features for future Adaptive Planning implementation project phases.
The Office of Planning and Budget is leading the project team, including Matthew Smith, vice president of budget and planning management; Susan Wynn, information systems manager and project lead; and Larry Pierson, principal budget planning analyst.
Additional partners include subject matter experts and product owners from various ASU departments, including Financial Services, the STAR end-user advisory group led by the Provost's Office, the STAR end-user community, and the University Technology Office. There will be many opportunities for STAR end users to engage with the project, including the ability to send questions to the budget system project team.
The project team will announce project updates and demos throughout the process. View the Budgeting and Forecasting demo video.
Since this product integrates with Workday, progress announcements and links will be posted in the Workday announcements and links will be posted in the Workday announcements. View Adaptive Planning frequently asked questions in Workday. Find them in the Work Instructions and Information in the Adaptive Planning tab.
- Winter 2020: Survey released to STAR end-user community.
- Spring 2020: Project kick-off, virtual town hall.
- Summer 2020:
- System designed, integrations created, STAR EPM Workday environment historic data converted and loaded into the new system.
- Soft go-live for user training, feedback and fine-tuning.
- Virtual town hall project update.
- FY 2021 budget data converted and loaded into new system; STAR system remains available as read-only through end of year.
- Fall 2020:
- Adaptive Planning go-live. *Completed and live Nov. 9, 2020.
- Archive STAR legacy data into data warehouse.
- Retire STAR by end of calendar year.
Note: Use of Adaptive Planning began in FY 2021. STAR can still be consulted through Dec. 2020 for historic data. After that, the data will be archived into the data warehouse and can be consulted there.