Workers' compensation

Workers' compensation kscheuri Wed, 12/18/2019 - 18:52

Workers' compensation is a no-fault system that protects employees for loss of salary and medical expenses in the event of an injury or illness arising out of and in the course of employment. This insurance provides payments for medical expenses and up to 66 2/3 % of salary if time is lost due to on-the-job accident or job-related illness. The coverage coordinates with long-term disability coverage and includes survivor benefits. All faculty, staff and student employees on ASU's payroll are covered.

Reporting a job-related injury or illness

Reporting a job-related injury or illness

All ASU employees must complete the following steps within 48 hours of a job-related injury or illness.

  1. Notify your supervisor immediately.
  2. Work with your supervisor to complete the supervisor’s incident investigation report.  
  3. Submit the Health Care Provider Release to Return to Work Certificate of Illness or Injury form to your supervisor prior to your return-to-work date. You will be sent home if this form is not completed by the treating provider.
  4. Fax medical records to 480-993-0007.
  5. Complete and submit the industrial compensation authorization form.

ASU employees in the United States should call 911 if the incident is a medical emergency. For non-emergencies, call CorVel at 1-800-685-2877 to report a work-related injury or illness. University employees working on the Tempe campus can contact ASU Employee Health services for non-emergency injuries, 8 a.m. to 5 a.m., Monday-Friday.

ASU employees on approved international business travel should print and carry the ASU Travel Insurance Card at all times. Should you need assistance, call the 24/7 phone number on the card, reference the policy number and the State of Arizona. Visit the travel insurance webpage for details. For life-threatening injury or illness, call the local emergency services.  

Contact ADOA Risk Management Division for inquiries about your established claims at 602-542-2182. Review the Workers' Compensation for State of Arizona Employees brochure for details about insurance.  

Request for physician change

If you voluntarily visit a physician more than once, it is interpreted that you have officially selected your physician. Once you have selected a physician you must request a change in writing through the Industrial Commission of Arizona. It will be at the ICA's discretion to approve or deny your request.


If you receive notifications of a work-related injury or illness, follow these steps:


View our policies for details about incident reporting and investigation and information related to faculty and staff.

asoenair Wed, 12/18/2019 - 19:03

Workers' compensation benefits

Workers' compensation benefits

Compensation for lost time from work is based on consecutive days lost and days paid. See the following list below.

• 1–7 | 0  days an employee can use available sick time.
• 8–13 | 8–13 days.
• 14 or more days from day 1 until the day you return to work.

Sick, vacation and family medical leave: Workers' compensation pays up to 66 2/3 % of your average monthly wage. Sick leave and, at your discretion, vacation leave, may be used at 33 1/3 % or more, up to 100 % of your base pay. The family medical leave is not an additional leave. It is used in conjunction with sick leave, vacation leave, workers' compensation or leave without pay.

Health benefits while on workers' compensation: If you remain in a paid status — using sick or vacation leave — premium deductions will continue to be withheld from your paycheck. When you are in a nonpaid status, the Benefits Office will bill you for your insurance premiums. The premium rates will not change. At that time, you may elect to pay for all, some or none of your benefits. Any benefits that you canceled may be reinstated at your option when you return to work. Be sure to notify the Benefits Office when you return to work.

Retirement contributions while on workers' compensation: If you remain in a paid status — using sick or vacation leave — the required retirement contribution will be deducted from your paycheck. If you are in a nonpaid status — leave without pay — and are an ASRS participant and want to inquire about a service purchase, contact the ASRS at 602-240-2000.

Reopening closed a claim: You can file a petition to reopen a closed claim to secure additional benefits on the basis of new, additional or previously undiscovered conditions. The form must be accompanied by a current medical report supporting the relationship of the current condition to the work-related incident. When the Industrial Commission of Arizona receives the petition and medical report, the carrier will be notified and has 21 days to accept or deny the reopening. Call the ICA at 602-542-4661 to reopen a claim.

asoenair Wed, 12/18/2019 - 19:17